Tanjore Chicken Pepper Fry
|Prep time: 10 min||Cooking time: 30 min||Serves: 4|
Dad had a special liking for all dishes cooked in the style of his hometown, so naturally this recipe featured at the top of his best food list.
1 kg chiken, 3 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, 100 gm peppercorn, ¼ cup oil, ¼ tsp turmeric powder,
10 dry red chillies, 2 onions, 1 pod peeled garlic, 5 cardamoms, 5 cloves, 1 inch cinnamom sticks, a few curry leaves, salt to taste.
- Wash and cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Dry grind the peppercorns.
- Break the cinnamon and the dry chillies into medium pieces.
- Pour the oil in a deep frying pan or kadai and fry the cinnamom, cloves, cardamoms, curry leaves,, peeled garlic and onions till golden brown; add the ginger-garlic paste, broken red chillies, salt and turmeric.
- Add the chicken and fry for 5-7 minutes and then add half a cup of water; cover and cook on the low flame. Keep stirring until it is drier and cooked.
- Add the pepper powder and fry for 5 minutes, remove from the stove.
Serve with rotid or rice.
You can use the same method for mutton pepper fry.
You may also add 2 cups of coconut milk after adding the chicken/mutton for a different flavour.