Steamed Lentil Balls In Tamarind Gravy
|Prep time: 10 min||Cooking time: 45 min||Serves: 4-6|
This is quintessential South Indian dish bursting with spice and tanginess and it is one of my favourites.
2 tsp oil, ¼ kg Bengal gram, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp chilli powder, 2 cups water, a few cloves and
cardamoms, ½ cup grated coconut, finely chopped onions, 4 green chillis, 1 ½ tbps coriander powder,
1 tomato, a few coriander leaves, a few curry leaves, salt to taste
- Soak Bengal gram in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and then grind to a paste without adding water.
- Add salt and mix well, then roll into small lemon-sized balls and steam them in a steamer (idli steamer will do).
- Grind the grated coconut flakes to a smooth paste.
- Fry the onions, curry leaves, 4 slit green chillis, 1 finely chopped tomato, cardamoms, cloves, turmeric and coriander powder.
- Add water and coconut paste; boil for about 10 minutes and then simmer till the gravy is semi-thick.
- Add the steam balls and boil for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.