Jackfruit payasam takes us back to the two jackfruit trees planted by Mom in our Bangalore home. The large tropical tree with a strong distinct smell can be appreciated from quite a distance. Rich in energy, dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins and free from saturated fats or cholesterol, it makes a healthy summer treat. As jackfruit tree owners we can tell you this fruit requires skill to cut and a palate to appreciate.
Soft and sweet jackfruit pieces in milk, garnished with a sprinkling of almonds, melon seeds and a light drizzle of rose water constitutes the jackfruit payasam.
1 big jackfruit , 1 cup sugar , 1 cup brown sugar , 1 cup almonds , 1 cup melon seeds, ½ tsp rose water,
½ tsp cardamom powder , 8 cups milk.
- Clean and cut the jackfruit into small pieces,
- chop the almonds finely or into strips
- Boil the milk on low heat till it becomes thicker.
- Then add sugar and stir for about 15 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit pieces into the milk and cook on low flame for 30 minutes.
- When the jackfruit becomes soft, remove from the stove.
- Garnish it with chopped almonds, melon seeds, cardamom powder and rose water.